Tomball Bluegrass Festival: Houston Is Not a Bluegrass Desert

I mentioned in my introductory post that I titled this blog Bluegrass from the Other Side because I often feel that living in Houston is like living on the other side of the world for those of us yearning for live bluegrass music.  But I don’t want to make it sound like this is a bluegrass desert because it’s not, far from it. For instance, the little town of Tomball, just a short drive from where I live, hosts a pretty nice bluegrass festival every October that I always look forward to attending - and local bluegrass fans perform from time-to-time all year long.

The Tomball Bluegrass Festival, a one-day event, is a mixture of some of the best local and regional bands around, with the featured closing act usually coming in from out of state.  And because Houston is home to so many folks raised in other states, it is not uncommon to have products of all the traditional bluegrass states represented in most of the local bands.  That is the case with Kenny Snow, a mandolin player who came to Houston via Tennessee. 


I always enjoy Kenny’s work on mandolin and have chosen a video featuring Kenny that I shot in Tomball at the 2013 festival.  I think you will quickly see why I’m always happy to see Kenny Snow on-stage.

Comments