Fox on the Run: Part of the British Invasion of the Sixties

I still find it difficult to believe that "Fox on the Run," a bluegrass standard I've heard hundreds of time by dozens of bluegrass bands now, was written sixties British rocker Tony Hazzard in 1968 and turned into a hit by Manfred Man in 1969.  The song doesn't sound exactly the same, of course, but it's easily recognizable by any bluegrass fan of even a short while.  Here's a video of Manfred Man performing the song live in 1969.  (I was a fan of the band in the sixties but don't recall them doing this one for some reason.)

The Country Gentleman were the first to record the song in this country but it started to gain its status as a bluegrass standard after it was recorded by Tom T. Hall in 1977.  I imagine that this would be a sure-winner of a bar bet if you wagered with someone in the right kind of bar.  You can thank me later.

Correction:  I've been reminded by Travers Chandler (a true bluegrass historian) that The Country Gentlemen were not the first to record "Fox on the Run" in this country.  As Travers points out, that honor belongs to Bill Emerson and Cliff Waldron who recorded a while as Emerson and Waldron.  Emerson, a former (and eventually-to-return) member of The Country Gentlemen actually brought the song to their attention.


 

Comments

  1. Excellent call! One of the things that fascinates me about bluegrass is it's ability to take music from unexpected places, translate them into bluegrass style, and find new audiences for songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the main reasons I love bluegrass so much, Ted. Del was one of the first I remember noticing did much of that, but it's become more and more common in recent years - and for the most part, bluegrass bands do a great job of adapting the chosen songs into authentic bluegrass.

      Delete
  2. Talking about Del my first album of his was Cold Hard Facts which covered Robert Cray and Ray Price
    Soon to follow would be The Lovin Spoonfull, Richard Thompson and Frank Sinatra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that album and "Snake in the House" is one of my favorite cuts on it, Jan. To this day, I enjoy Del's shows more than anyone else's in bluegrass.

      Delete

Post a Comment