Earls of Leicester, the Band with the Perfect Name

Another reminder to myself that there really is some pretty fine bluegrass music available in Texas if you're willing to drive a few hours to get to it.  One of my favorite festivals is the Bloomin' Bluegrass Festival, a Friday-Saturday event held at the end of October every year up in Farmer's Branch. In my mind, it is easily the premier bluegrass event in the state, and this year's lineup is shaping up as one of its best ever.

Headliners will include: 

  • Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
  • The Del McCoury Band
  • The Earls of Leicester
  • Balsam Range
  • Sister Sadie
I've been a fan of Ricky Skaggs since I first heard him work with Emmylou Harris sometime in the eighties, and Del McCoury is the guy who back in the early nineties turned me into an avid bluegrass fan.  The Earls are a new favorite, and I really enjoyed the all-girl group Sister Sadie when I saw them at the 2016 festival.  Balsam Range is less familiar to me and I haven't quite warmed up to their music yet, but I'm listening.  

Here's a one-song video of the Earls I shot there last year.  I was pretty deep into the crowd when I recorded this and had to zoom in from a bit farther out than I normally do, so every bit of camera movement is extra noticeable - but I love this performance and wanted to share it anyway.


Comments

  1. This festival is free admission too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should have mentioned that because I'm still amazed at that one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment