Like Kris Kristofferson, I'm Feeling Mortal, but I'm Ready to Hit the Road Again


I was so overwhelmed by what has happened to so many of us in the last few years that I let this blog die its own quiet death. From hurricanes, to COVID-19, to watching Democrats and Republicans ignore the real problems this country faces, it all got to be too much for a while. It was easier just to shut the door and mind my own business. I lost my father without being able to be at his bedside because of COVID quarantines; I lost several close friends I used to see several times a week; and I lost a whole lifestyle. Suddenly there were no large sporting events, no music festivals, no crowds allowed anywhere. 

But maybe now it's time to try to make the most out of what we've been dealt. The clock, after all, seems to be ticking faster than ever.

I have admired Kris Kristofferson's songwriting as long as I can remember. Kris is one of those bigger than life people who always strike me as living life pretty near the edge, and frankly, I never expected him to be around as long as he has. But as a fan, I am ever so thankful that the man has lived a long, productive life. 

This song, "Feeling Mortal," from about nine years ago is one of my favorite Kris Kristofferson songs ever. If Kris was feeling mortal in 2013, I can only imagine how he must be feeling right now (Kris turned 86 in June). 

The song speaks to me in a way that encourages me to keep on moving and doing the things I love for as long as I can. Kris has exactly 12 years on me, and lately I'm feeling awfully mortal myself. But I'm going to use that feeling to get me back on the road on a regular basis. In addition to the college football games in College Station, Texas, I've started attending again, I hope to return to the world of bluegrass festivals. My seasonal timing is not great, but I will begin next month with the Bloomin' Bluegrass Festival held every year in Farmers Branch in October (14-15 this year). 

So that means I'm trying to breathe some new life into this blog, one that never got off to its proper start in the first place. Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. My blog as well became dormant from overwhelm. I’m glad to see you starting up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's kind of you. I missed the live music scene so much that I just couldn't see how to keep the blog going...all part of the covid depression I went through. But I've got some ideas now.

      Apparently, a lot of people had the same problem because I just finished deleting a bunch of dead links from my sidebar...roughly 1/3 of the links I had there.

      Delete

Post a Comment